Acne is one of the most common skin conditions in the world. Chemicals such as benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid have been proven to be effective in treating acne, however, they leave your skin feeling dry and irritated. This has prompted many people to try curing acne naturally at home. In this article, we have compiled the best home remedies and habits for caring for your acne at home. But first:
What is acne?
Acne is a popular skin condition affecting more than 80% of adults worldwide. It occurs when your skin follicles become blocked with oil and dead skin cells. Most people will experience acne at some point in their lives, especially during their teen years when their sebaceous glands produce more oil. Others will experience it in their 40s and 50s as there’s no age limit to acne.
What causes acne?
Acne forms when the pores in your skin get clogged with dead skin cells and sebum. Extra sebum causes increased growth of a bacteria known as Propionibacterium acnes. The white blood cells in your skin attack the bacteria leading to skin inflammation and acne. The most common symptoms of acne include pimples, blackheads, and white heads. Some people may be more predisposed to developing acne due to several factors including:
Clinical treatments are the most effective for reducing acne, but you can also try home remedies such as:
- Wash your face twice a day, immediately after waking up and before going to bed.
- Wash your face after sweating.
- Go easy on your skin: Use gentle products on your skin, especially those that are alcohol-free.
- Opt for a light and soft washcloth when washing your skin. Avoid the temptation to scrub your skin while washing, instead, use a gentle motion.
- Shampoo regularly if you have oily hair
- Keep your hands off your face: If you pick, or squeeze your acne and pimples, your skin will take longer to heal, and you run the risk of getting permanent acne scars.
- Avoid the midday sun.
Are home remedies effective?
Today, virtually every case of acne can be treated. Many people opt to try natural remedies since they are available and affordable. If you follow the tips listed above, you will significantly reduce the risk of an acne breakout. But if you already have a serious case of acne, you might want to consult with us so we can suggest an effective solution.